Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The reason for my blog title

Only a Sinner

Naught have I gotten but what I received;
Grace hath bestowed it since I have believed;
Boasting excluded, pride I abase;
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!

Refrain

Only a sinner, saved by grace!
Only a sinner, saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory—
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!

Once I was foolish, and sin ruled my heart,
Causing my footsteps from God to depart;
Jesus hath found me, happy my case;
I now am a sinner, saved by grace!

Refrain

Tears unavailing, no merit had I;
Mercy had saved me, or else I must die;
Sin had alarmed me fearing God’s face;
But now I’m a sinner saved by grace!

Refrain

Suffer a sinner whose heart overflows,
Loving his Savior to tell what he knows;
Once more to tell it would I embrace—
I’m only a sinner saved by grace!

Refrain


I chose this title for my blog because it reminds me of the fact that I am only a sinner. This fact should always keep us humble, especially considering the word only. I try to remind myself of this fact whenever I tend to be puffed up with pride, which, I am ashamed to admit, is rather often. But there is also hope in this message in that Christ saved us knowing that we were sinners. Also, he saved us knowing that, even after we were saved, we would continue to be, "only a sinner". We fall so short every day, yet God still loves us. I love these verses in the song because, if you really look at the words, you are nothing when you finish reading it. Every vestige of pride is gone. At least for me, I feel so broken and dependent on God's grace and mercy. And if you think about it, this should keep us from being judgmental towards others. Since we are only sinners, who are we to judge others? We are no better than they. It is only God's grace that keeps us where we are in our spiritual walk. So, my goal for this week especially, is to remember this hymn and stay humble, be dependent only on the Lord and not to think that I can do anything of my own merit, and not to be judgmental of others. Any and all prayers would be greatly appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment